Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Finish Line - Summary

Whew! What a trip! I've never taken a college class that was as interesting and informative as this was. I thouroughly enjoyed every step along the way.

Looking back on that cold, rainy day driving to McDonald Middle School, wishing that I didn't have to get out in that nasty weather and that I had so many things back at my school that I needed to do, I was not in a state of mind to tackle something new. To be honest, even when Mary and Debbie's opening presentation began, I found my mind wandering to other things. Once the large group broke up and we split off into small groups to begin tackling the first "Thing", I kind of panicked because everyone around me seemed to be having success right off the bat and I was struggling to get my brain wrapped around exactly what I was supposed to be doing and not knowing how to go about it. My lack of confidence was taking over but I was determined to figure that first "Thing" out. Little by little, each "Thing" was a little easier and before long, came along several of the "fun Things". With each new "Thing" my confidence grew and I became more excited, looking forward to the next "Thing". In fact, I almost became obssessed with it all and for periods of time, would neglect other facets of my life in order to tackle a new "Thing"

As far as lifelong learning goals, I would love to do some more of these types of staff development. I like the self-paced aspect of it and well as the fact that I didn't have to be at the PDC by 4:15 on "this" day of "this" week. What I really liked about it was that I didn't have to be in my "professional dress" in order to learn and share with others. I loved sitting in my pj's and slippers in my recliner with my laptop in my lap and sipping a good cup of coffee as I worked. I will be on the look-out for more opportunities like this one.

The only thing that I can think of that we could do differently to improve on the program's concept, would be to convince the district administrators to allow teachers to access all the different "Things" we did that threw up a wall (firewall that is.)
It would have been much easier and quicker to get around to different sites if we didn't have to by-pass the filter by going through all the steps involved in getting around the filter.

I most definitely would participate in any future discovery programs like the "23 Things, if any are offered.

I already have begun to practice what I have learned throughout this program. I know that if I don't use it, I'll lose it! Ha! For me, if I don't go straight home from a staff development and begin to practice and use what I have learned, it will go in a file folder in my desk and be forgotten for either a long time or even forever. My students are already enjoying using our school wiki for their reearch and are even more excited to participate in the research podcast that I have planned for the coming weeks.

One last "thing". For those of you who are still struggling to finish the "23 Things", don't get frustrated and give up. It's tough sometimes, but in the long run you will see that it's worth it when you have finally crossed "The Finish Line"! I'll be at the Finish Line, waiting for you and cheering you on to success and completion! Look for the checkered flag! Vrooooom!

3 comments:

Zeeburt said...

Congratulations on such an incredible job! I'm really impressed. You're inspirational to the rest of us. As far as the "use it or lose it," I think that applies to all of us, especially when it comes to new technology skills! I'm hoping we can access the 23 Things project and each others' blogs for quite awhile. I haven't figured out an efficient way to save all of the information, since copying it doesn't help with all of the links.

Debbie said...

Your summary post was so reflective of the whole process. You did so much and applied so many of the new tools you learned. You truly are a life long learner. (I love the pj's and slippers way of learning too)
Congrats!! Bring on the iPod!

lyle.metzler said...

I like the extras on you blog, Sue. You do such a wonderful job with all the tasks given you. I stand in awe of your gifts and dedication.

Thanks for sharing your feelings at the start. I also felt frustration while trying to do this at school. The coffee, pjs (in my case sweats under a John Deere throw), in my chair with my laptop where its name implies sounds similar to my experience. It did tend to take on a life of its own, didn't it.

I will be so glad to meet my wife again!

Your blog looks wonderful!