Monday, October 29, 2007

Thing #7 Google - not just for searching anymore

After looking through all the Google Discovery Resources, I decided that the two most useful to me in my library program were the Google Calendar and the Google Notebook. I had no trouble creating a new notebook. With this feature, I can create a webquest with questions and links to websites in order for my students to find the answers in their research.

When I tried to create a calendar, I ran into some trouble. I typed events into certain days of the month, but it didn't seem to be saving them. I have looked at the help page on the calendar page and the FAQ's, but have still not been successful. . .

Yay!!! I was finally successful in creating my calendar with events posted during the month of November. After hours of trying everything I could think of and getting advice from Mary, Debbie & Marnie, I figured out what was wrong. I have two Google accounts, the one I created on staff development day and my home e-mail account. I was creating the calendar under one account and trying to imbed my calendar into my blog under my other account.

Now I'm ready to tackle Thing #8. Hopefully I won't run into as many roadblocks with it as I did on this one. But, I don't give up easily. I will spend hours obsessing with problems like this until I find the solution. So those of you out there struggling with your blog, don't give up.

3 comments:

Ms.PaigeTurner said...

I love how you are using the google notebook. I looked over your notebook and I am impressed.

Debbie said...

It's much easier than Filamentality isn't it? How will you use it with students since Google is blocked?

Share with Sue said...

I hadn't thought about my students not being able to view it because of Google being blocked. Would I be able to use the teacher override for each computer when they are in the library doing research?